Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Path to a PE Teacher...

This week we have been working on our philosophy projects. When I first got this project I just thought it was going to be another boring project that I was going to have to do just to say that I did it. When I started working on it with my partner I realized how interesting this could really be. We were given the philosophy realism, and I really didn't have a clue where to even start because to be honest we didn't really study philosophies and the people who came up with them in high school. I went into this project not knowing much at all about this, but by the time we were working through it and finished it I was excited because I had learned a new concept and I could tell other people what realism was and how it applied to their lives and not just some boring part of history. I found this philosophy pretty cool, I am sure how the other philosophies work, but I do know one thing and that is how mine applies to me and how I could use it in my classroom.

             The way I got excited about learning what realism was is the way I want my students to react the same way when I teach them something for the first time and they can go tell others what they learn instead of just memorizing something for a test. I want to teach my students something they can take into the real world and not something they will use only while they were in school. The sad part about my middle and high school is that we were focused on memorization and the test grades not what we were actually learning. We focused on the temporary learning not on the permanent part of learning and what we can take to apply to our future lives. This upcoming week we will be going into the schools and I cant wait. I have never really been on the other side of the spectrum as far as going in to observe a teacher. I am from Cleveland County so it excites me that we will be going somewhere local because its my home. I am sure my first experience will be very interesting, but again I don't know what to expect yet. This will be a good experience for me to get to see what actually goes on in the teachers perspective and I can't wait to go!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your final product on the video! I know we all are going to learn not to ever forget these philosophies anymore!
    If I were you I would be both nervous and excited about coming to this elementary school. Take advantage of everything you know about Cleveland County. I think we are able to help more and to be conscious of everything around us when we have information. I hope this first observation visit could be a great opportunity for you to learn and enjoy the first steps in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeley,

    I am glad to see that you have found some meaning in the philosophy project! I really like the perspective you stated above in that you can see how realism applies to you and your future classroom. This is a great connection!

    Yes, going into schools to watch teaching is a big change. I am glad to see your excitement and hope you will get a lot out of this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeley,
    I am glad to find that you feel the same way about our philosophy project! At first, I was dreading it but actually doing it has been such a cool experience. That's really great that you are already making connections between your philosophy and how you want to integrate it into your classroom. I believe it will be strengthened by your clinical experiences as well. The fact that you are already familiar with the area schools will definitely help you when comparing your classroom experience as a student to that of being a future teacher. I am excited to hear how you will like it!

    ReplyDelete