Wednesday, September 9, 2015

My Journey to be a PE Teacher

Today in class we discussed the use of technology in schools and how the use of technology is becoming more prominent in today's schools. The discussion was very in depth and made us debate the different sides and listen to others views on the topic.

Many of the students in the students were shocked to hear about the younger ages of students using iPads in class. In my profession as a PE teacher I find it very difficult for the students to be able to use technology to keep up with certain activity. As a PE teacher I want to have my students in class and be able to teach them different activities in person instead of virtually. Many schools all over are already fully virtual and that just blows my mind. I don't think I could ever do a virtual school just because my attention span would not be as greater.

I believe that the students need to attend school without solely based on technology. Our generation is becoming so lazy and non social that we aren't going to be able to communicate well with others around us. When I get into a classroom we will be using technology, but that is not going to be our main priority because isn't PE about being active anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Keeley,
    I couldn't agree more with your post. Since we are in the same concentration, we have a lot of the same views. It will not be near as beneficial having all online PE classes as it would face to face. Yes there are devices that we could use to track students but it doesn't teach them everything we are qualified to in a classroom. While recreation ball is good, they do not teach students the same health benefits and why fitness is important like we as PE teachers will. I agree that this world is becoming very lazy and unsociable and if we keep striving towards a tech savvy world, the coming generations are not going to know how to function in a normal society. I agree that I will use technology in my PE class to show students different ways to track their own health outside of class, but that will never be a main focus of mine in class. I believe it is important to keep kids active and teaching them how to interact with one another and teachers or leaders they will have throughout their lives.

    Stephanie Blackwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it blows my mind that PE classes can now be taken virtually. But when I sit down and truly think about it, this concept makes sense. Online PE would be beneficial for students with disabilities so they could have a more individualized learning experience. But I also see how this could be a disadvantage to some student's learning. This is truly based on the situation to determine if it is beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely with you, Keeley. I love technology to a point, but I don't really like how education is becoming consumed with technology if I'm being honest. I'm also with you on attending virtual school. I did online school for a semester sophomore year and it was hard to learn the information when sitting behind a computer screen. I couldn't imagine taking a PE class online, especially at a young age. I feel like students acquire more knowledge when they are sitting inside a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! If we let technology take over every aspect of our lives we will not get out and be active or social. Yes we should prepare them for the world they will be living in, but one part of that is knowing how to take care of their bodies, how to be active, and how to live a healthy lifestyle both physically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally think everything is constantly changing. It's not only classrooms and the way we teach. I also think everything around us in changing without we can even notice. That been said, I totally understand your point of view as a future PE teacher. Nevertheless, I also teach a pragmatic class: EFL. So, talking about the use of technology in class and attend to class virtually are completely new subjects for me. I guess, while we grow and learn as teachers we will figure out to make it work. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm agree with you in some points. The essence of learning experience includes a personal experience. To learn about life children need to share experiences and face challenges that are in real life. They need yo improve personal skills that are part of education.

    The other side of my opinion it's not to be focus just in the things we don't like about new age... Just be sure about your opinion and take the great possibilities of technology to have advantage in the fact of teaching !

    ReplyDelete