This past week we went to the high school. Going into the high school I had already made my mind up that I wanted to teach a middle or high school PE class. After we got done at the high I am think I want to be in a high school setting. The kids seem to be a little more mature when they reach the high school level than at the middle school. I sat in a Junior Chemistry class and it was a very interesting, but boring at the same time. The students in the classroom seemed very mature, but liked to have fun also. The teacher did a very good job of keeping the students attention and he had a way of reaching the students on their level. When we got to the classroom he was putting problems on the board while the students were answering the problems on their individual white boards. The students were working with each other to try and figure some of them out. When a student would get a problem he would talk them through the problem to see where they went wrong. The only thing that I didn't like I about the class was at the end he had given them a worksheet prior to us coming to class and they were to work on that packet for the remaining thirty minutes of class. The students got restless and so they just started talking and playing around the rest of class, while some students were still working.
The teacher of the class was also an assistant football coach, which I enjoyed very much. When I go into teaching I also want to be a coach because when you have a coach figure in a classroom the students have a sense of respect and the coach can build a certain relationships with other athletes. You could just sense the presence of a coach in a room when I was in there and the students had respect for him when he talked. I really enjoyed the visit because it showed me what a coach in a classroom effect has on students, which I had never really thought about before. It was a eye opening experience from my standpoint and justified what I really want to do in my career.
Keeley,
ReplyDeleteWhat did you take away from this experience that you can apply to your future classroom? What impact did this visit have on your future role as a teacher? What specific connections were you able to make to the NCTCS?
Keeley, I'm glad you've found where you want to be for your career target. I agree that the presence of a coach in the room does change the level of student respect but I also think this can be done by someone who is not a coach, its all about asserting your authority from the beginning. I too was in a room with a teacher that was a coach and she demanded respect but gained it not because of her title but because of her methods of dealing with the students. Best of Luck!
ReplyDelete