Monday, October 26, 2015

Journey to a PE Teacher...

This past week's class I went into class not knowing what we were going to do, but I can tell you this that it was one of the best classes I had been in a while. I took away information that I had never even thought about before. One of the main concepts that I found intriguing was that teachers try to cram all the information in during test time at the end of the year, but if they would have taken care of the gaps during the school year they wouldn't have to be filling in the gaps in the end. Dr. Parker used the analogy of having a cavity and if you let the problem you will eventually have to get a root canal. I had never really thought about this idea before because when I was in high school this happened every year and crammed so much at the end of the year. When we crammed like that we couldn't remember all of the information, but if the teacher would have taught us all the info and made sure there were no learning gaps there wouldn't be as much stress at the end of the year. There were many other concepts talked about during class, but this one really stood out to me. I hope to fill all the learning gaps in my classroom and have the kids learn the most they can.

1 comment:

  1. Keeley,

    What are you action steps to learn more about formative assessment? Have you begun to visualize your future PE classroom and what this will look like?

    ReplyDelete